Thursday, April 23, 2009

Brandon is 12

Brandon turned 12 on April 17. I really can't believe that my little baby is not little anymore.

Turning 12 also meant that he would be ordained a Deacon. I figured I would be emotional, especially being pregnant and tired, but I wasn't fully prepared for the sweet experience of watching Dan ordain Brandon. Brandon is such a good example to both Dan and me. There are many times when I think that I need to get my act together and follow the lead of my children.

Brandon likes to set goals. So do I. The difference is that he actually accomplishes them. One of the goals he set for himself earlier this year was to read The New Testament before he turned 12. We realized that if he did this he would have read all the Standard Works. I am 34 and I have yet to read all the Standard Works from cover to cover. We encouraged Brandon to read but also told him that it was OK if he didn't finish. What he had already done was pretty amazing. On Easter Sunday, 5 days before his birthday, we read the last chapter of Revelations with Brandon. I hope that we can continue to focus on the Scriptures and that as the tough teenage years come, our children will be able to turn to the Scriptures for answers.

We celebrated Brandon's birthday on Sunday the 19th because he was on a Scout camping trip for his actual birthday. Our boys get to request whatever dinner and cake they want for their birthdays so that meant that we would have spaghetti. Brandon loves spaghetti. He also requested corn on the cob, the 5 (or is it 7?) layer chocolate cake from Costco, and homemade vanilla ice cream. It was a good dinner. A nice way to end a nice day. I'm grateful to my parents who were able to be here for the occasion.

6 comments:

Joy said...

I can't believe that because that mean Mitch and Meg will be 11 very soon...oh where does time go? it was great to talk to you the other day...your great and I always love talking with you. Good luck with everything. Well have to plan a race to do together sometime.

Pattersons said...

happy b-day brandon! he's such a good example to all of us in primary and we're grateful-glad he enjoyed his day:)

Brady, Theresa, & Lily said...

Birthdays are so fun! The only thing that made me sad about going to the young womens to teach was that I wouldn't have Brandon in my class anymore:) He always seemed very interested in my lessons which always made me more motivated to prepare:) and sometimes i was speechless by the questions he would ask - and most times I had no idea what the answer was because it was much too deep of a question for me:) I love your family and I hope I can teach my kids to love the scriptures as much as you have taught yours:)

Lamese "Mese" Ugapo II said...

Yeah seriously, Brandon is an amazing kid. I'll never forget how well behaved he was when Anna and I babysat for you guys. It's unbelievable how intelligent he is. You guys are great people and the apple has not fallen far from the tree. We love you guys.

Olsen's 7 said...

Brandon does not surprise me! Whenever I see Russell M. Nelson I think "Yep! That's gonna be Gabby's kid someday!" U R a great mother!

anna marie said...

he is an amazing boy.