Wednesday, June 11, 2008

Mother of the Year

It's amazing that my award hasn't arrived yet. I keep checking the mail and when the UPS truck drives by our house I keep waiting for him to stop and bring me my trophy. Maybe the Mother of the Year committee has secret video cameras and they caught a glimpse of this:


These are Brandon's shoes. He has been asking me for several weeks if we could go get him new shoes. I, absentmindedly, would answer, "When school's out", or "Don't you have basketball shoes you can wear?", or "You're fine" and my favorite, "It's not polite to keep asking for the same thing." Wow. Talk about taking advantage of teaching opportunities. I kept thinking that I needed to take a few moments and compose my acceptance speech.


So yesterday Brandon came home from piano lessons and said, "Mami, do you think that maybe we could go to Walmart or Target to get some new shoes?" And I said firmly but lovingly, "OK, Brandon, show me your shoes." And he then shows me all the holes in his shoes! I couldn't believe it!! He said, "I showed my shoes to Heather (his piano teacher) and Jacob (another piano student)." What's wrong with me?! He hadn't been asking for designer shoes from expensive stores. He's happy with Walmart or Target. Needless to say, we went to Target and bought him a pair of shoes.


Brandon is such a sweet boy. He's the boy who on his own has read almost the entire Old Testament and actually understands and asks questions about what he is reading. As the oldest, he plays the role of peacemaker very well. He is always mindful of the needs of his younger brothers and he helps them accordingly. He is always teaching Dan and I something about love and humility. Couldn't I have at least taken the time to look at the condition of his shoes?!!?


Maybe my Neglectful Mother of the Year award is coming.....wait, I think I hear the UPS truck......

9 comments:

PEHNelson said...

Come on Gabby! Stop watching Oprah and you'll see what's up with your kids! JUST KIDDING!!!! That's what TiVo is for!

Ben Hutchins said...

Awesome! Joy and I had a good laugh reading this one. Amazing how we can be so blind and oblivious sometimes... I guess we are just always used to being nagged at and sometimes fail to realize when its legit :)

The shot of the shoes is classic! You made our day.

Ben and Joy

Anonymous said...

Boys sure wear out their shoes rather quickly. My Ethan is the same way.

Chredna said...

Since you ignored his shoes....maybe you should look at all their clothes to make sure you haven't been ignoring anything else!! I thought as a "Sorry" to Brandon you would at least take hime to "La Penny"

Unknown said...

Since I am perfect parent (because i haven't made any parenting mistakes), that he had shoes and was not barefoot. Check one. Second, nobody noticed and probably thought he wore out his shoes quickly (you can't be turned in to CPS). Third, the summer is here, where are the cheapy flip flops?

Suzy Farar said...

Hey Gabby! I found your blog through other's and I hope you don't mind! This is Suzy Farar (Morrison) remember me? It looks like you are doing well, and you have a very handsome family! I'm in Phoenix and we are doing ok. your blog about the shoes was funny, because I can totally relate! One of my kids shoes has a hole in the bottom so bad almost his entire big toe is sticking out the bottom!!!! And I have another one that doesn't have any socks, and I just keep telling him to borrow his brothers!!! How awful is that, I just haven't gotten to the store lately!! My kids are very hard on clothes! Check out our website fararfamily.blogspot.com

ALC Wedding Photography said...

hey gabby! i got on your blog off of Sherrie's I hope you don't mind! This post is hilarious! You are too funny!!

p.s: i love your back ground where did you get it?

Jayme said...

you are too funny! My mother of the year award must be on its way too beacuse Sabrina's shoes look the same way. :)

MAB said...

I love it! Sometimes I'm amazed that my kids have shoes that fit them, let alone are still stitched together. Don't feel guilty- it's called "character development."

BTW- I noticed you have a link to Eric Snider's site. I love Snide Remarks!