Thursday, October 2, 2008

The Lesson I Learned

The other day was Brandon's turn to help in the kitchen. Brandon, as I have posted before, is such a polite and sweet boy. He is always aware of what's going on and he steps in like a big brother to make things right.

So on Monday, he and I were getting dinner ready when he innocently said to me, "Mom, do you still need my help or do you think you can take it from here?" I said, "Excuse me?". He then repeated himself.

I walked over to him and I picked him up and sat him up on the island. (He's eleven so I stopped doing this a long time ago.) He kept looking at me wondering what he was doing on the island. I then put my arms around him and smiled and said very clearly (think Bill Cosby), "Brandon, let me tell you something. I can always take it from here. In fact, I can do this by myself and having you boys in the kitchen sometimes slows things down. But the reason why you are in the kitchen is so that you will learn how to cook so that when you are an adult you will be responsible. So remember, when you boys are in the kitchen, I'm actually helping you. " He smiled and I told him how much I loved him and he jumped off the island and went back to work.

When Dan came home I told him what happened and we laughed at my "clever" response. I thought I did good. Then the more I thought about it the more I realized that my son had actually taught me a lesson.

I came to the realization that Heavenly Father must say the same thing. In fact, 2 Nephi 27:20 says, ".....I am able to do mine own work."

I'm sure there are times when He looks at me and thinks, "I can always take it from here. The reason why I have allowed my children to be sent to you is so that you will learn to be like me. Sometimes you slow things down. Remember, I'm actually helping you."

I have thought about this all week and I've realized that I need to be more humble and understand that these experiences are for my growth and progression. I'm grateful for my Heavenly Father who has sent me these sweet children to teach me this lesson.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks for sharing that Gabby.

Daniela said...

Hna Hull...... 10/5/08
que gusto ver este sitio que creaste. No tenia nada que hacer hoy y puse "Hull" en la computadora y me salio este sitio. Me gusto mucho el caso que pusiste de tu hijo en la cosina. Muy buen ejemplo. Bueno, espero verte pronto en el parque y que tengan muy bonitas vacasiones (get away)tu y el Hno. Hull.
De: Daniela

Stephenie said...

Oh my goodness Gabby... I am not exaggerating whatsoever when i say I was in tears by the time I finished reading that blog. Oh my goodness! What a good example you are! Now...whether or not i liked the story more because it's about Brandon...that's a different issue completely. Hahahaha! I'm just kidding. Sort of. But seriously thank you so much for sharing that. It's always good to have an eye-opener every once in awhile :)