Friday, December 12, 2008

Won't You Be My Neighbor?

My next door neighbor is the sweetest lady. She gives me lemons from her trees and lets me use her phone when I've locked myself out of my house. She's let me know that I can call her anytime I need anything. She really is very kind.

Yesterday I realized that I should be more like her. On Wednesday afternoon she came to my house to let me know that she had thrown a ball over to our yard thinking it was ours. That ball, a pool table ball, had broken her dining room window. After she threw the ball into our yard she realized it couldn't be ours because her dining room is on the opposite side of our yard so our boys couldn't have thrown it. I assured her that it wasn't our ball, after verifying with the boys, and told her I felt bad that her window got broken. I told her I'd send Dan over to see if he could help her cover up the window while she got it replaced. She said she would be fine.

OK..this is the part where I need to be like her. Yesterday, less than 24 hours after the incident, she had a glass company there replacing her window! Less than 24 hours!! We have had a broken window in our house since May and it's still covered with cardboard!!!! Jacob threw a baseball and broke one of the panels of our kitchen garden window. Dan did what anyone, besides our neighbor, would do....cover it with cardboard and duct tape.

What makes this even funnier to me is that since that incident in May I have reminded Jacob to not throw the ball close to the window because we don't want it to break.

His response? "Yes, we don't want it to break because we don't have any more cardboard."

8 comments:

Joy said...

I love the things kids say. And yes I would still be your neighbor even if you have cardboard and duck tape on you window!

Pattersons said...

i'd let you have some of our cardboard but we need it for our windows:)

johanna said...

Ian, while at preschool threw a rock and broke his teachers' window! I hope he learned his lesson, but boys will be boys. I'm taking the $ out of his Christmas fund!

G-Man said...

Hello, I stumbled upon your blog through a long, winding and rather accidental internet road...long story short, from your stories I think an old high school friend of mine in NC, Bill Hull, is part of your family. I would love to drop him a line to check in after all these years. Feel free to contact me at gjaluvka@bellsouth.net if you can help me with contacting him and thanks so much.

G-Man said...

Woops, that's gjaluvka@yahoo.com.

Sabra said...

Did we ever figure out the mystery of the pool ball and neighbor's broken window?

Misty said...

Hey don't be too hard on yourself. Who wants to replace a window that is most likely to get broken again? Remind yourself that you have little boys and she doesn't! We miss you guys as well. I am preg. with #5 and couldn't remember if I already replied to your post. I still remember when you guys watched 3m old skyler for our anniversary, we went canoeing. Thanks again for that!

anna marie said...

We love having joshua in our class. He is a sweetheart. Glad you are feeling better.