Sunday, January 16, 2011

The Kind of Mom I'd Like to Be

In October 2002, I was reading The Friend and came across this poem written by a 7-year-old girl.



I'd like to be a Mary Poppins mom.


And I'd like to be a mom of animals.


To take care of them and draw them.


I'd like to be a mom who does everything with her kids--


A mom who dances,


A mom of excitement,


A mom who loves everybody,


A mom who forgives,


A mom who joins her kids in any game,


A sewing mom,


A children's mom.




The words of this sweet little girl have inspired me throughout the years. I hope I am becoming the kind of mom my children want me to be. I hope I am becoming the kind of mom my children need me to be. I hope I am becoming the kind of mom I covenanted to be.


Photo by Megan Holdsworth

1 comment:

Pattersons said...

the sweet words of that poem as well as your own, ring true for so many of us moms who feel exactly the same way:) thanks for sharing gabby! and by the way, i think you're a terrific mom:)