Monday, January 3, 2011

Paper, Pictures, and Sunday Shoes

I am starting this year with three very specific goals. It is the third day and I am still trying to figure out how I will best accomplish this. I know there will be adjustments along the way but I am determined to implement a system that will allow me to accomplish this year's goals. Your suggestions are welcomed.

1. Paper
Bills. Ads. Junk mail. Regular Mail. Receipts. I don't like it. I have a desk where most papers get placed. I have every intention of getting to it but then something almost always happens.....Life. It then takes about a month until the final paper has been shredded, filed, or thrown away. By then another month's worth of papers have already piled on. I will develop a system to deal with all the paper that comes into our home.

2. Pictures
Delete. Upload. Print. This is the year I will place our family pictures in a photo album. I'm not even talking about scrapbooking. I am talking about just a plain leather Costco-special photo album. Maybe upload a photobook. Something. Anything. I just want them out so that our children will enjoy them.

And last but not least,

3. Sunday Shoes

I want all Sunday shoes, socks, suits, white shirts, ties, dresses, hair bows, diaper bag, nursery bag, Branch President mail, etc. in its place on SATURDAY!!!!!! I will not spend another Sunday looking for one missing sock or shoe or tie or anything.

Here is a small glimpse into our peaceful Sabbath morning (soft Sunday music playing in the background):
Dan has already ironed white shirts on Saturday. For this I am thankful. He helps as much as he can before he has to leave for his meetings.

Then all chaos breaks loose. Where is the missing sock? Has anybody seen Jacob's tie? It was right here a minute ago. Joshua, where are your pants? Why are they not on? Where is Emma's other shoe? Why isn't anything where it should be? Who is your mother and does she know your room looks like this?

I'm done. I'm almost 36. I should have this all figured out by now, right? This is the year when habits will be created. Habits that will help create a little less stress. I want to more fully enjoy the blessings of an orderly home and I want my children to enjoy the blessing of a less crazy mother.

This is the year...Why not?

2 comments:

{Erica} said...

Good goals.

I recommend Blurb for your photos. The books are very high quality and the hard back book will stand the kids many times they thumb through those pages.

I found myself saying "me too!" to a lot of your goals...sigh...it seems my list just gets longer and longer of things I need/should/must be doing.

Pattersons said...

awesome! i too, like erica, found myself saying"yes, i need to do that!".:) happy 2011 gabby and i'm sure it's going to be a great one!