Tuesday, September 23, 2008

Colorado Trip: Part 1

Every year we have a family reunion for Dan's family. On the even years we have a WVB reunion. This is for all of the extended family on my mother-in-law's side. On the odd years we have a Hull reunion. This is for Dan's immediate family. Let me just say once again that I married into the most amazing family!!! I love Dan's aunts and uncles, cousins, in-laws, everyone! Every reunion we attend is like a preview of what the Celestial Kingdom will be like. I can honestly say that I would live in some family compound if it were ever necessary. It's always hard to say goodbye.

A few weeks ago we met at Estes Park, CO for a WVB reunion. We drove there and had such a fun time. We stopped in Grand Junction for a few days, then headed to the Glenwood Hot Springs, and then up to Estes Park. OK...Colorado is so beautiful!!! Simply breathtaking. I had never been to Colorado (unless you count the Denver airport, which is on the top of my list for favorite airports, by the way). Here are a few pictures of our trip:



This picture was taken on the top of the Grand Mesa Plateau. We took the Land's End road. Let me just say that I had never been so scared in my life. I was literally in tears by the time we got to the top. FYI, whenever a road on a map is printed in brown and is squiggly it means that it is not a paved road. It also means that it will wind up the several thousand feet you are ascending. It also means that even though your husband is going only 5mph it is indeed 5 mph too fast. The road kept getting narrower as we went along and the side of the cliff kept getting closer to us. Scary!!! But we made it to the top and the views were just breathtaking. I'm sure there is in analogy in there somewhere. (We took the black road on the way back)




The boys wanted to do some rock climbing so we pulled over and let them climb up the rocks.


This is what we saw when we got on our way after making a pit stop at the Glenwood Hot Springs. (Thanks Geoff and Sherrie!)





This is one of the tunnels we drove through. Thanks to Geoff we now know that when you drive in a tunnel you should honk the horn. It was fun!

2 comments:

Griscel and Erik said...

how cool! I see this is only part 1 so im excited to see the rest of what you guys did. I'm glad you guys got home and everything was fine (it was right?!!??)

Stephenie said...

That's so weird! Everytime we have big family get-togethers up in Utah I always think about how I know this is what Heaven will be like... and I can't wait :) I'm glad we have something to look forward to! Or aim for, I guess.