Sunday, September 7, 2008

Deep Thoughts

This post has nothing to do with how our family is doing. But this post is a glimpse into the workings of my brain. Sometimes Dan asks what it is I'm thinking and I reply, "Do you really want to know?" Or out of nowhere I say something and he'll wonder where that came from. So I will recount the 5 seconds before and how one thing led to another and how I eventually came to my comment. He always says I think too much. So here goes....

This is always a story that I remember from Jr. High. Whenever I think of this it makes me smile and I have to laugh. The other day I was telling the boys that we need to sync our clocks to the school's clocks because it seems that every clock in our house is different and I need to make sure they are getting to school on time. So thinking of this made me remember my Fourth Avenue Jr. High memory. I had Mrs. Shaw for 3rd period Literature. She didn't have a clock in her room because she didn't want the students staring at the clock during class. She believed that students should work right up until the bell. Well, Julio Vega, a friend since Kindergarten, had a watch that he set to beep at 3 minutes before the class ended. After a while the class caught on that the bell would ring a few minutes after Julio's watch beeped. This made Mrs. Shaw mad. Her entire plan of keeping students working until the bell was failing. One morning Julio told me that he set his watch to beep around 30 minutes into the class. That meant we would still have around 20 minutes or so before the end of class. When his watch beeped the entire class started to put their books away and they started getting ready to leave. Julio started laughing and Mrs. Shaw angrily told the class we still had 20 minutes. Julio was smiling and I still smile when I think of this.

Whenever my phone rings I always think that it will be a friend from 6th grade. I am convinced that Tiffany Gore will call me and she will ask if I still remember her and I will say, "Of course. You gave me a gold necklace for Christmas" and she will be so amazed at my excellent memory.
And if Tiffany Gore from 6th grade will call me, maybe Rebekah Gentry will call me. Or Kimmy Jaquin. These are just a few of the names that have popped into my head at random moments throughout the last 22 years.

My locker number in 7th grade was 117. My locker combination was 12-37-15. This is the only locker combination I remember. Scott Shelley had his locker next to mine and he had to teach me how to open a lock. I hadn't used one before.

The 4th graders at OC Johnson School always went roller skating for their end of the year party. (Debra Etlin didn't go skating because she got her tonsils out.) Theresa Montoya let me borrow 75 cents to buy a soda. I didn't pay her back until I was in high school.

There you have it....a very random sample of my brain.

8 comments:

MAB said...

Wow- I am amazed that you remember your locker combination from 7th grade! I had the same lock from 7th-12th grade and I still can't remember the combination. Very impressive Gabby!

Anonymous said...

Love the watch story. So funny.

Joy said...

I thought I was the only one out there who married someone with random brain waves. Ben is always doing the same thing and as he does so he kind of bobs his head and those on the outside of his brain can watch a silent internal conversation. It is really quite interesting to watch!:)

Chredna said...

wow gabby. That now explains why Brandon walked around in holey shoes and you didn't notice!

Pattersons said...

love it! someone who thinks like i do:) -except my memory is no where near as good as yours:)

anna marie said...

I love that you posted this blog. It makes me like you even more than I did before. I do the same thing. Random thoughts.

Stephenie said...

That is hilarious! And i know EXACTLY how you feel. I remember random stuff ALL the time and then i start laughing out loud and everyone looks at me strangely. Or someone will tell me something, which will trigger a memory that leads to another thing, then another, then another (all in about 30 seconds of course)and, again, i laugh out loud, inspiring a whole new round of weird looks. I love those moments.

Stephenie said...

Ok so i had one of those moments last night and i had to tell you. We went out quadding in the desert. So we see this little critter run into the bushes, but i couldn't see what it was. The guy said something that sounded like "prairie dog" even tho i knew it wasn't what he said or what it was. In a split second, I think about how cute prairie dogs are and how we had to do an animal project in 4th grade and i wanted to do mine on the prairie dog, but Taylor Hancock got to it first and I was so jealous/mad because Taylor was the most popular girl in the 4th grade. Those feelings of jealousy came back to me last night too! lol Random. Just thought i'd share since i know you can appreciate it :)